Monday, October 03, 2005

New Job

Been a long time till I realized that I had a blog & it needed my attention, of course the same goes for my toenails & my fingernails, thankfully the hair fall off & take care of themselves. In the very near future I will not have to worry about the hair part at all. But I have decided to make amends to the situation & here is my first attempt at creatively using my office time in this new job, by clipping my toe nails that is.

Anyways I have quit my earlier job, left my Reay Road station behind, left my beloved Harbour Local even farther behind, my salary, my traveling allowance, my half yearly bonus & leave salary the farthest of them all. Now I am dependant on the BEST buses for my commute (bloody expensive as compared to the trains). So, nowadays instead of having full body massages I have to content with exercising my biceps & occasionally hurting the ligaments in my shoulder, which also means that my bowling career may come to an end in the near future (the hurting happens only on the stretches where the roads are bad or the driver decides to do a surprise braking test for evaluating the conditions of his brakes or alternately the alertness of the commuters). Also, I learnt that traveling on the bus’ footboard is worse than traveling on the footboard in trains especially on the bad road…almost got thrown off the bus as a result, whereas sitting in the middle of the last bench is as bad, only difference being you’ll be thrown off the seat & on the aisle floor, what is worse is I lost my seat till I got back up. Since then I have started giving the conductor loose money from my ticket to tell me which passenger is likely to get off on the next stop or the nearest stop, so that I can go & stand near that particular seat (bad habit I inculcated in the train). I hope Abs buys a car when he returns to India & giving me a lift from office to CT. Asked the same to one of my friends here, he even agreed to buying a car on the condition that I’d pay the fuel bills, but if I don’t agree to the condition I’ll save on the fuel bills cost & I might be able to buy a flat opposite my office in about three months (at the projected average fuel price over the next three months), this may also be the case if I stop smoking & start saving that money, but then cutting down on one necessity to invest in another is an illogical step (plus if I quit smoking I’ll live till the loan term is complete & I’ll have to repay the full amount to the bank instead of Appoo and/or Iyer repaying my housing loan as my guarantors-designate).

The commute time which earlier was 30 mins. in my beloved harbour local has now increased to 2 hours give or take a few seconds. Even 2 hours are on the lesser side…sometimes the traffic cops decide to take the matters in their own hands & switch off the traffic lights & direct the traffic themselves which increases the commute time by another ½ hour (so the habit I had learnt in trains of going off to sleep while standing is of a lot of help to me). I wish the traffic cops would stop doing their work sit on their bikes behind trees, poles (How can the pot bellied pandus hide behind light poles is one of the paranormal things I am currently investigating) etc. to trap unsuspecting traffic offenders & help the traffic move more smoothly (yea, pandus & me have something in common, people feel that we’d be of help if we stopped helping).

In the morning there’s a stop where this group of daily wage labourers get onto the bus, everyday, like myself (whenever I look at them I feel I am worse off than them coz I don’t get paid till the month end, if ever, & if I quit in between…no pay, no leave salary, no bonus. Plus they are even covered by the minimum wages act, which, I assume; my previous & the current boss have never bothered to read). I did not mind standing next to them earlier but after I realized that they carry hot tiffin in their innocent looking half molten plastic bags, I have become more careful of not standing next to them. The first time such dude came up & stood next to me I had a very hard time trying to figure out why there was this burning sensation next to my thigh. I thought of everything from the lighter in my pocket mysteriously catching fire to the paranormal event of auto self-combustion only localized in nature near my thigh. Then looking at my worried face the worker began to explain to me…realized he was chewing something…bent to spit out of the window …in the process scaring the guy sitting in the window who misunderstood that the worker had bent over to kiss him…happy that the dude just spoilt his shirt cuffs & not his day & explained to me in some strange language of which I understood only the word “tiffin”. Anyways I have understood enough to keep away from this people lest they burn some other “sensitive” body parts. No wonder they get space to move around the bus.

Cannot believe its been three weeks of no dusty by lanes of Reay Road, no more of the magic potion which tasted like kerosene mixed with milk & burnt tea leaves which I suspect is an indigenous & patented product of Reay Road. No more jokes on nepalis, in fact no nepalis. Only good thing to happen was the seat given to me faces the window, which overlooks the Powai Lake, damn cool view (unfortunately not good enough to replace the nepali jokes)

During the past 3 weeks, fortunately, I missed reading all the crap that was written on the blogs to defame me. Firstly Appoo comes up with my imaginary girlfriend, Vijaylakshmi. Which got me thinking for the next several days & later I heard from Iyer his explanation for the same & still the name doesn’t make sense. Why Vijayalakshmi? Why me with Vijayalakshmi? Why not Iyer with Vijayalakshmi? Mrs.Vijayalakshmi Iyer sounds good. Speaking of Iyer, he in some post becomes my angel. This post has given me lots of nightmares, Iyer in his banian & “phantom chaddis”, cigarette in one hand with little wings that angels have been shown to have in movies, only that Iyers’ are bat like & this angel speaks with Sanjiv Kumar accent. Those who know me will tell you that I wouldn’t lift my finger to save myself let alone a chick named Vijayalakshmi, who is angry at the proudest moment of my life, my only act of vandalism, my only felony (till today).

46 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird: ekdam dhammal... nice thing to read on such a rainy morning... oh the dabba / tiffin thingy was fultoo timepass... somebody /something other than me inflicting pain upon bird is always fun...

and haan... keep visiting alfa once in a while... you will get used to "THE CROWD"... and now i know why dont u join us for tullee on weekends...

12:28 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Birdy....

congrats on ur new job....

ur post was worth the wait since ur last post....

the tiffin thing was hilarious.... :-D

have a nice day

1:46 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

VijayaLakshmi Bird Nadkarni takes the cake dude. And I think the reasons I put forward for name selection were very legitimate.

And yeah.... give up smoking. Buy the apartment.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Iyer no one called me that saturday. My college mates made the plan & i tagged along. Honestly even i dint want to be there, i was better off at happy reading my book. If you guys wuld've called me earlier i would've come with you guys...mujhe daaru se matlab hai, i dont worry about the "cast" ;)

About the crowd training, BEST is taking care of it.

Thanks KJ...love the new job, but i miss my nepalis.
you think getting burnt is hilarious?

Hey Appoo.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

birdie: kaahe ko bura maanta hai man... i was to just kidding man... tere saath "tullee session" karke bahut din ho gaya man... will have it some time... jab bole jahan bole... after navraatri :)

and i promise, this time i wont have brandy and garam paani or port wine man...

3:06 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Lol...this was funny, again. Congratulations on your new job...will we get to hear BEST tales now?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bird i'm not dropping you when i get back and buy the Dicor ... too high a price to pay for u

but congrats on the new job and enjoy the 2 hours of daily travel .. welcome to my world (albeit with the extra discomfort)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Thanks smithy. Will write more asap.

Abs, just give me a lift, i'll stand all the way I promise. I'll even pay you Rs.10 for one way (hope you accept promissory notes)

Iyer, Kalti master.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bird:Congrats on ur new job ..
sorry abt the late arrival ..weise why dont u start carrying a tiffin too??

and please dont worry about Abs not giving u a lift ..ever since i have taken up the campaign job ..i have made him believe that whatever i say wil get him the PM ka Kursi...

4:56 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Thanks winny.

BTW regarding becoming the PM...both of you can keep on dreaming. Iyer has agreed to become my campaign manager. And now I am going to air iyer's mata mata dance at my campaign meetings to draw in crowds.

Plus I know Abs he'll give me lifts atleast on Fridays.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird is a liar... i am not his campaign master... and no more mata mata dance... atleast for people who didnt come to shangrila and who "read books" on weekends... and look whose calling whom a kalti master...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Iyer, tu mera ek hi dost hai...plz mera campaign manage kar. And anyways last saturday was a dry day, so i'd to book a table at happy before it got too crowded.

With Ref. to you being termed as kalti master...i think you were supposed to meet me last tuesday. Anyways I've forgiven you now that you are my campaign manager.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried to meet u up everyday since tuesday, except friday, when i had a problem... but the problem was that after confirming the timing, you never even left your office seat, when i had reached andheri station... and what wouldi do for 2 hours give and take a few seconds, if thats how you like to put it?

somethings never change, reay road or powai... bird fixes up timings and when its time to show up, bird is still in office... meine to haar maan li hai

12:36 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

lies....i was at Powai Bus-stop.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i give up... i am the campaign manager for bird... and what do you want me to do in your campaign? do strip tease? or how about a pole dance? or how about bar dance?

all the options above will lead to your sealed fate and losing the post of prime minister... way to go winny... my vote is for abhijit :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Iyer, Bird, call u each other!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo...See My campaigning is already working ..

Bird:Only if we dream our dreams will come true.. so u bet we'll dream right thru...

Iyer:The name is 'AbhiJEET' remember .According to the pundits this spelling will bring JEET in all his 'PRAYATHNAMs'


Abs: where are u .. dont make me do all the work while u play ur F1 something something...

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have had a clandestine meeting with bird at the famous five star hotel "happy" and we have mutually agreed to a decision that I am going to be Bird's campaign manager and I am going to perform all forms of dances (from tribal to shashi) for bird...

winny,
all your prayathnams are going to go for a toss
and abhi will suffer a loss...
because arun is the campaign manager
and bird is his boss...


i have also promised, 30,000 bogus votes for bird, and he will become the PM... ab jo chaahe wo kar lo... ab dekhen kisme kitna hai dum...

10:26 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

If only Indian Elections would be won by dreaming, our Lalu would be the PM & not railway minister.

Iyer I hope you have enough influence in UP & Bihar, we need some musclemen for booth capturing too.

Abs, Winny your campaigning cannot draw half as much crowd as Iyers "Mata Mata Dance" & I now see that he's gone into writing poetry too.

Winny I'd also suggest that you guys not contest, i'd hate to see abs' deposit being forfeited.
We dint let an italian become PM do you think we'd allow American firangs to become the PM.

Cant believe i've to contest with a blind man & his secret campaign manager

Iyer we are definitely winnying.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes we are sir, we definitely are winnying all the way through the elections...

and once we win(ny), we can buy ourselves two brand new cars... one destinated to powai and the other destinated to nariman pt...

and what more, you dont have to be dependant on some dicor of the opposition party... we have a very bright future here :)

and goons we have, in the form of alap, krupal, paro, andy, manu and name them and we have them... we can capture the whole country and not just a booth...

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iyer & Bird; Dont be so Winnying around...

Tum logon ka chances ek dun dim hein.. dont forget that Bird's own campaign manager has voted for mine,,,

That is one main dhammal and it got published in last nights Nanavan news circulation.. Ab tho building ke saare public Abs ko hi vote denge...

then comes Baangdu who is now very happy that i clebrated his Bday and has agreed to bring about a dhamaka voting conspracy..

Adit will yell and shout to make sure everyone rememebers only Abs as the PM to be

Pals will make it rain if anyone other than ABHI FOLLOWERs show up on the roads...


and ur mata mata dance wont work anywhere due to the new ban ,,,

so Bird and Iyer the jist of the story is JAO JAAKE PAANI MEIN DOOB MARO....

Mallu ladki se panga liya hein...aasani se chodungi nahi...

Update on Abs..He is working too hard for his own good..goes to work in the morning and comes back home with work and works works...

8:54 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Iyer/Bird: Let u in on a small secret.

If u wanna distract winny, just get along a stack of grass. She'll be too busy eating it to campaign for Abbs.

And Iyer, dhamaal poetry thaa woh! Tagore in the making!

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

demi goddessji: hamne real life mein mallu ladki se panga liya hai and i am going to marry that panga... so if i can live with that panga, ye to phir bhi online hai... apne baaye haath ke sabse choti ungli ka khel hai :)

i had decided to vote for abhi for just one reason... i never wanted abhi to go without a single vote and since now you have decided to go to nanavan (as you call it) news, i will call that off too... and haan, NRI's cant vote... so no vote for abhi

apoo: no tagore... only campaigns... and bird is the outright winner...

winny kya karegi campaign manage
she will just create another carnage
bird ke baare mein socho phir bhi
vote dene pe milega aapko free IB

9:35 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Dear Winny, Adit's been my supporter since long time, ask him today whom he'd vote for, without thinking he'd say Bird. He's the one who asked me to enter into politics (become the secretary of Nananvan). Plus i've got a star campaigner in farro. Whoever votes for me gets an autographed poster of farro. And if you are aware of the nanguyz history, farro is quite competant in counter-balancing pals' dark magic.

Yes Iyer voted for abs just to avoid suspicion, so that he could put in around 30k bogus votes in my name. If caught he'd have chance to prove he's innocent. Iyer smart move.

And Appoo, as is evident from his comment, is our consultant. He tells us about our oppositions weak points, their food habits etc.

Iyer, not just 2 cars. we get to share the 6 bullet proof BMW's, the new 2 747's which may come next year, plus no traffic jams. Although i still havent figured out why would I continue working here once i become the PM.
Aur iyer tera bodyguard will be "Samree" of Ramsay fame who sits outside Happy. (whose butt you have supposedly seen in Bandit Queen & till today, somehow, remember it).

Iyer look at Winnys threat. You scared of Mallus?

Jadoo ab Iyer dikhayega,
(5 mins pause...)
Jeetna kise kehte hai ye bird samjhayega,
(5 mins pause...)
Aur Winny, Kaun doobega ye sirf waqt batayega.
(Vajpayee will be proud of me)

Reg. Abs dont worry hes used to the work. Although when he has the time to review the situation, he wouldnt be too happy with his campaign managers work.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First party to reply back after this post gets my vote ...

although active participation from the bird's camp is highly appreciated. That’s a sign of a great team work

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reply back done...

now you keep your promise of 34,237 bogus votes that you were supposed to get :)

or you can round it up to the next acceptable figure... how abt rounding it upto 1,00,000?

5:04 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

arre winny we never laughed at you. Somebody's been telling you lies. The last person we laughed at was some waiter in CT & we stopped the moment he threatened us with mixing poison in our food.(actually he tried to strangle iyer before that, baangd & myself saved iyer that time)

BTW winny, Iyer has come up with a cool campaign slogan for Abs in kannada.(For the next elections)

And yes, we'll bash up Abs when he gets back for not helping you with the campaign.
(Iyer, i have a small ladder you can borrow)

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

winny: u shud be more of a campaign damager... what kind of employee would like to see his / her boss beaten up?

ram ram ram ram... namak halaali naam ki to koi cheez hi nahi bachi is duniya mein!!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Iyer, I like to see my boss being beaten up, sometimes the beating is induced by an email "mistakenly" CC'ed by me to the HO boss, which in turn ensures that my work is given priority for authorizations & is not left incomplete because my boss is busy.
Sometimes bosses are required to be beaten up for the work to be done.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need my boss to be beaten up for not tagging along with me when having tullee sessions... can somebody do that for me ?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

1000 Hits as of 17-10-05 @ 1908 hrs. (Just for the Record)

Iyer i do it out of concern of my friends' health. You've got a saint for a boss.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird time for a new post

4:30 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Bird, just heard from Pals. He frequents this Tea house and has a cutting worth $4-$5. He fears you might kill him on hearing that... or u mite die of a heart attack. I am hoping for the second and hence posting this message.

Also, if you have not died, write a new post to prove it!

10:21 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Happy Diwali and a prosperous new year to u n ur family.

time for a new post!!!!

:-)

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BIRD: WE WANT A NEW POST!!!!!

-PALS
PS:just so you know i have no other kaam dham these days whichis why im all over peoples blogs...:-)

10:52 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

"REMEMBIRD IS DEAD"

3:08 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Thanks susubala.

And yes I know i havent updated the blog for a couple of hours..will do so shortly...till then I'll try to stop appoo from posting anymore.

Pops, there is no death for remembird...i'll be baaack.

2:20 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Bird, stop drinking and commenting.

"Not updated the blog for a couple of hours" LOL!

U mean like 1 hour = 1 decade?

12:54 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Birdie: thanks ...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Yes something like brahma-kaal, 1 Brahma Day = 1 million mortal
years types.

KJ, i will not accept any thanks till i can make appoo stop blogging, its still a job half done.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

c-fataak... naya post likh jaldi

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR

ABHI TO NAYA POST LIKH

2:20 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Wishing you a very happy new year

:-))

KJ

PS- time for new post.....

4:42 PM  
Blogger memphis said...

pakshi .. new post or i'll give u one tichki

10:06 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

happy valentine diwas....

:-))

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home